Thursday, January 24, 2008

Memories


I was reading a post on the blog "Simply Sanctified", it had a very nice poem about a grandmother. I often think of my grandparents, who have past away, and the memories always put a smile on my face. I do miss them and can't wait to someday see them again. When I think of them it gives me a peace in my heart. I hope you have good memories of your grandparents and if they are still around take the time to make memories with them. One of the memories I have ,that I think of often, is so simple and it may not seem like much. The memory is so clear, I can even remember how I felt as a little girl. I had not a care in the world. I would often spend the night at my grandmother D's house. My grandfather passed away when I was around three, so it would be just my grandmother, my sister and I. My grandmother would often read the Bible to us and would tell us about heaven and answer our many questions about God. Sometimes after all of this I still could not go to sleep ( probably to excited about my future home). She would take her little alarm clock, that sat on her night stand, and would place it by my ear. It would just tick, tick, tick away and off I would go to sleep. The clock numbers and hands also glowed in the dark. That has been many many years ago ,but in my mind I can feel and smell the sheets and how cosy the bed was, and see the love my grandmother had for me in her eye's and her gentle kiss. If you have any memories of your grandmother or grandfather I hope you will share them with me.

Israel was often told throughout the bible to remember God and what he had done for them. Isaiah 46: 9 "Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me. " One of the most loved accounts in the Bible is , when Joshua becomes leader over Israel. They cross the Jordan on dry land and God tells the Israelites to make a memorial of the crossing. Joshua 4:20-24 "And those twelve stones, which they took out of Jordan, did Joshua pitch in Gilgal. And he spake unto the children of Israel saying, When your children shall ask their fathers in time to come, saying, What mean these stones? Then ye shall say let your children know, saying Israel came over this Jordan on dry land. For the LORD your God dried up the waters of Jordan from before you, until ye were passed over, as the LORD your God did to the Red sea, which he dried up from before us, until we were gone over: That all people of the earth might know the hand of the LORD, that it is mighty: that ye might fear the LORD your God for ever.


Always remember those before us that shared the love of Christ Jesus with us and as Israel was instructed to share them with those that came after them, let us share Christ with those around us. We must tell them the crossings in our life that the LORD our God has brought us through. My grandparents shared Jesus with me and I must share him with my children and grandchildren; that they might know the hand of the LORD, that it is mighty: that they might fear the LORD our God for ever.

1 comment:

Under Southern Skies said...

That is such a sweet post and memory!